Going to do a little mix here and some usual Good, Bad, and Yummy moments from the weekend as well as some highlights from the month of June (seriously, did this past month fly as fast for everyone else as it did for me?)
As for the weekend....
John's sister had her baby Thursday night, adorable little Charlie John! Yay for another nephew!
Saturday I got my longest ride to date in...61 miles, I was really happy with it especially considering the elements were not in my favor for most of it!
I'm feeling really comfortable clipping in now, and am starting to utilize the power of it more (when clipped in you get power on the upstroke as well, which can make you more efficient of a rider). I do have to remind myself not to pull up too hard though, it can create lower back pain and tightness in the hip.
I managed to take off my shoes while still riding (thank goodness for fabulous Bontrager Triathlon Cycling Shoes). If I can practice this more, it will make me more efficient in T2 on race day, and get my running shoes on me quicker. BUT I won't do it race day unless I feel 100% ready (it could turn bad quickly).
Dress rehearsal run yesterday went great! I wore my +Saucony Triathlon top and shorts, as well as my Kinvara's (these are the only things that might NOT be with me on race day, I ordered Saucony Flats, but they are not in yet). I even started the run after 11 AM in the heat of the day because that is when I will be running on race day, gotta practice these things!
Got to spend a little time with John, his sister and her man and the baby last night:)
It was torrential downpour the first half of my long ride Saturday, but in all honesty it really wasn't all bad because it was good prep in case it rains on race day.
The new baby had some respiratory issues over the weekend and had to stay a few extra days giving us a worry(but all is good now, as I said they left hospital yesterday happy and healthy).
Friday night I was worked up about doing my long ride on Saturday. I was tired and cranky and letting the anxiousness of upcoming 70.3 get to me. A good long chat with my man definitely made me feel better.
My Garmin is definitely fading, and quickly. Battery power is lasting less and less and the strap (which partially broke last weekend) is getting even more worn now that it has added strain on one side. I really need to decide what I want to do. Looking at the Garmin 310XT, 910XT and the Timex run trainer 1.0 GPS watch....any thoughts?
After my long ride on Saturday I treated myself to my 2 favorite things from Panera.
All day Sunday John was cooking up a storm in the kitchen. We wanted to make food for his sister since she just had the baby and also has a 4 year old (she's gonna have her hands full!). He made a ton of super yummy (and healthy) recipes, the majority of which were vegan from Scott Jurek's Book Eat & Run. I wish I had taken photos of all of it, it was seriously fabulous and I couldn't even tell that most of them were Vegan!
My contribution was definitely NOT vegan, but it was what his sister wanted: my homemade baked raspberry cheesecake....I love making it, super yummy!
5 Things about the month of June
1. 413 miles between running/biking/swimming! Should actually be a little more but I am really happy with this. I've been consistently training smarter and that has made me able to do more.
2. I tackled my first triathlon this month, and feel really good about that!
3. Although I definitely had my days where it was a struggle to get out the door, I feel like my confidence and motivation is getting back to where I want and NEED it to be.
4. Favorite fitness related moment of the month: there are a few that stick out, but honestly I think it was 2 weeks ago I had a really good long swim where things just "clicked" and it seriously just gave me a big confidence booster.
5. Least favorite fitness related moment of the month: my 40 mile ride where I had a million meltdowns and just mentally felt down and defeated (this made this past weekends 60 miler that much sweeter though).
How was your weekend?
Have you read Eat & Run by Scott Jurek?
Garmin vs. Timex GPS watch thoughts?
What were your favorite/least favorite moments from June?