In 2010 I ran this race in 35:10 (7:02 pace)[Placed 1st AG, 6th Female], I remember feeling so happy that I ran this time for my first 5 mile race.
In 2011 I ran this race in 34:30 (6:54 pace)[Placed 1st AG, 3rd Female] Exactly 7 days after running the Harrisburg Marathon (the one I ran 8 weeks after Rochester).
In 2012 I ran this race in 34:26 (6:53 pace)[Placed 1st AG, 4th Female] Exactly 7 days after Marshall University Marathon where I earned my first BQ (and 16 minute PR).
This year I ran this race in 33:10(6:38 pace)[Placed 1st AG, 2nd Female] Exactly 2 weeks before CIM. Apparently you can go a little faster when you don't run it a week after a marathon, novel idea.
Okay, a little more about it this year.
10 things that will sum it all up for you....
1. It was 17° and about 10-14 mph winds with snow/ice covered roads
2. I slipped and fell while warming up, in front of a large group of people. It was kind of like this, only not as cute.
3. I contemplated not running the race because I was afraid of getting hurt after that, CIM 2 weeks away-- last thing I needed was injury from being a clutz.
4. I started about 5th female and made my way to second by mile 2 and that is what I finished in. (1st place was pretty good amount of time ahead)
5. First mile was my fastest, miles 2/3 were slowest last mile was 2nd fastest.
6. I slowed down a ton around 2.5 because we were in residential neighborhood that the road wasn't cleared. I felt myself slipping every step so I pretty much played the balancing act waving my arms around praying not to fall(again).
7. Race outfit/Gear: Saucony Omni Tights, Gap Long sleeve base layer, Saucony Neon Pink long sleeve, Saucony Curve Crusader Sports Bra, Saucony Kinvara socks, Saucony Kinvara 4 GTX, Cheapo Knit gloves, Cheapo headband, Garmin 405 (somehow this thing is still kicking).
8. This was 12 seconds away from my PR- Can't wait to demolish that in the spring. I ran this at the same pace I did that hilly 10k in September, so obviously I have more in me for a 5 mile race that didn't come out this time.
9. I felt strong for this, considering I went in with no time goal I was pleased. I think I have taken the last few weeks of training smart and hopefully that pays off for CIM.
10. I ate my weight in homemade chicken noodle soup and pizza afterwards while waiting for my award (which was a $25 gift card to local running store!).
|Only picture you get. Because well... I don't have any others.|
Next year I am either going to win this thing or take 7th, because I have locked down places 2-6 already since running this last 4 years.
Do you like the 5 mile race distance?
I love it and wish there were more of them ( I have only ever run 5 of them- 2 different races, this one 4 times)
Anyone have any slipping/falling stories for me?